What is an Interactive Development Environment (IDE)?
An IDE can make your development process more effective by:
- applying syntax highlighting to show your code structure
- auto-formatting your code to improve readability
- help you to search your files efficiently
IDEs can also go beyond this core functionality by:
- integrating with git to do version control on your files
- run your unit test suite
- integrating with virtual environments or Docker to run your code inside the IDE
- allow you to edit code on clusters via SSH
- and so on
What are the choices for a python IDE?
There are numerous options for an IDE in python. The two most popular are probably VS Code and PyCharm.
I work with VS Code, but it’s a matter of personal preference. I recommend installing one of these in advance of the workshop using the links above. If you use VS Code you should also install the python extension.